GIVIT – Resilient Australia Community Award winner
GIVIT is a national not-for-profit connecting those who have with those who need, in a private and safe way. GIVIT’s vision is to match generosity with genuine need. GIVIT’s ’Disaster Recovery Service’ business model is a ’virtual warehouse’ that manages donations of goods and services online. In times of disaster it matches donations to requests for assistance from front-line agencies and councils, arrangements are then made for the goods to go directly from the donor to the recipient.
This service strengthens resilience within communities by ensuring communities get exactly what they need when they need it most, while protecting the dignity and privacy of the recipient.
It supports economic recovery by purchasing locally wherever possible and enables services to focus on essential support by reducing the need to manage unwanted donations.
LIVINGSTONE SHIRE COUNCIL – Resilient Australia Government Award winner
Livingstone Shire Council’s resilient project, ’Cyclone Marcia Recovery Taskforce’ was a project that engaged all tiers of government, local service providers, local industry and business and community to create long term partnerships, including issue specific sub-committees which specifically focus on building resilience for disaster events.
The initiative provided a catalyst for a holistic appraisal of the economic, social and environmental health of the Livingstone Shire and its capacity to respond to issues which have the potential to disrupt or fracture the community; be it a natural disaster, a social problem (for example domestic violence) or a general downturn in the economy.
Livingstone Shire Council Disaster Hub
Resilient Australia Photography Award 2016
Mr Darrin Leonard of the Tableands – ’Ravenshoe Cafe Explosion’
The winners were automatically submitted as finalists in the national judging for recognition in the nationwide 2015 Resilient Australia Awards. Queensland’s GIVIT was awarded the highest honour receiving the 2015 Resilient Australia Award during a ceremony in Canberra with Minister for Justice and Minister for Assisting the Prime Minister for Counter-Terrorism, the Honourable Michael Keenan MP, and the Member for Brisbane, the Honourable Teresea Gambaro MP.
High Commendation recipients for 2015;
- Cairns Regional Council – Schools Ready Cairns.
- Queensland Reconstruction Authority – Delivering Betterment in Queensland.
- Redland City Council – Online disaster plan.
- Southern Downs Regional Council – Killarney and Stanthorpe flood action guides.
- Western Downs Regional Council – Mercy Pedestrian Bridge.
- Gold Coast City Council – Hinze Dam stage 2 (HD2) Policy.
- Tablelands Regional Council – Exercise Bright Spark.
- Burdekin Shire Council – Multi-purpose building/cyclone shelter.
- Townsville Regional Council – Is your health disaster ready?
Commendation recipients for 2015;
- Rockhampton Regional Council – Rockhampton creeks catchment flood modelling.
- Somerset Regional Council – Somerset region disaster management system.